Piazza del Popolo Square
The square, rectangular, is one of the most scenographic in Italy. It is limited to one of the smaller sides of the Temple of St. Francis, westward from the Palace of the Captains of the People and to the east from the loggia and it owes its current accommodation to a unified project of 1500. Piazza del Popolo was already so called in 1200. After rethinking the possible seat of the ancient Roman forum, later medieval square, civic, religious and commercial center, with insufficient accountability for hosting large public assemblies. Therefore, in the second half of the 14th century, it was decided to break down the isolates of casupoles and craft workshops that separated it from the church of San Francesco.
PORTICI DI PIAZZA DEL POPOLO (sec. XVI)
The porch, made up of fifty columns, was built between 1507 and 1509, on probable project and construction of M ° Bernardino by Pietro da Carona. The width of the bows is not uniform as it was adjusted by the amplitude of backward properties. In fact, the function of the porches was to hide and unify existing pre-existing buildings. Above the porches are opened uniformed windows and lunettes worked, crowned with Ghibelline merlots.
LOGGIA DEI MERCANTI (sec. XVI)
It was built in the sixteenth century by the powerful woolen corporation, which exhibited its goods here. The design, traditionally attributed to Cola dell’Amatrice, must be realized in M ° Bernardino by Pietro da Carona and Francesco Rubei. The loggia has columns that stand on high nuts to give more momentum to the building. Under the loggia, walled to the wall, there is a travertine slab showing the measurements of all types of bricks prescribed in 1569.
CHIESA DI SAN FRANCESCO (sec. XIII-XIV)
The construction was begun in 1258, the main body was consecrated in 1371. Its hexagonal towers are of the fifteenth century, while the cruise dome and dome date back to the middle of the 16th century. The main façade has three portals, the finely decorated central section features columns made of whole travertine pieces. On the top of the bow there is the lamb symbol of the lanterns who contributed to the cost of building the temple. On the side portal, the monument to Pope Julius II was added in the sixteenth century. The interior develops a rectangular Latin cross-shaped plant divided into three naves. The cruise lines of the aisles were built in the 16th century. XVI. The presbytery area consists of three apses. The wall finishes are richly decorated in Gothic style, while the stained glass windows are contemporary school work. The travertine pulpit is a 17th century opera by Antonio Giosafatti. In the sacristy are paintings by Cola dell’Amatrice, Biagio Miniera and Nicola Monti.
EDICOLA DI LAZZARO MORELLI (sec. XVII)
The Baroque Baroque building was built in 1639 by Lazzaro Morelli on the orders of Governor Gerolamo Codebò, who wanted to dedicate it to the Madonna of Reggio. The trabeation is surmounted by a classical tympanum, in which a pout is framed by a fruit festoon. An artistic iron gate was used to protect the ancient icon of Our Lady, now replaced by a terracotta Emidio Paci.
PALAZZO DEI CAPITANI DEL POPOLO (sec. XIII – XVI)
The palace was initially the residence of the Captain of the People, then of the Council of the Elders, for a short period also of the Podestà and finally of the Pontifical Governors. In its massive structure it reveals traces of different epochs. Since the 13th century, the era of the fusion of three medieval buildings and of a gentle tower, adapted to the bell tower, many transformations have taken place over time. Of the 13th century structure there are the two loggia on the ground floor, the loggia on the first floor initially with only one light, while on the top, under the cornice, seven arches and the tower. In the second half of the fifteenth century the building was lengthened. In 1520 Cola d’Amatrice was given the task of arranging the counter-palace of the palace. In 1535, after a furious fire, the palace was radically restored. The works also covered the inner yard, framed by three loggia orders. In 1549 the portal was built and, at the top, the monument was annexed to Pope Paul III Farnese. During the restoration work of 1987, a visitable area with Roman pavement and medieval structures was laid out.
Caffè Meletti is one of the 150 historic Italian cafes. The facade of the palace is integrated in the urban layout of the square with a arcade arcade and Renaissance windows. At the end of the nineteenth century, the building was built to be used as Post Office and Telegraph. This remains testimony to the frescoes of the sub-port that allude to postal functions. In 1903 the building was purchased by the Meletti family who commissioned Enrico Cesari to turn it into a meeting place, raising the building of a terrace floor. The cafe, in its interior, is in the liberty style in the furnishings, in the large mirrors and in the decorations of the ceilings. In 1996 it was acquired by the Carisap Foundation and later reopened in 1998 after careful restoration.